Monday, January 27, 2014

A little DIY 2

I found this really cool blue/purple colored yarn and made myself an infinity scarf. Seed stitch with a border, in my mind it looks like blueberries so that's what I'm calling it, "the blueberry scarf" XD.

Cast on in multiples of 2 (add 6 stitches for both edges).

I cast on 3 stitches (border) + 20 + 3 more stitches (border), so 20+6, 26 sts in total. I used two skeins, which gave me enough length to wrap the scarf twice over my neck.

100 gr. yarn, 6.5 mm needles.

Row 1:  K2, P1, *K1, P1... end with K1, P1 and slip the last stitch as if to purl.
Row 2:  K2, P1, *P1, K1... end with K1, P1 and slip the last stitch as if to purl.
Repeat rows 1 and 2 until desired length. Bind off following the pattern. Sew ends together.

Pretty easy, right?

Sunday, January 19, 2014

A little DIY

So, I couldn't find a cover for my tablet that I liked, and the ones I did like did not fit the tablet.
What's a girl to do? Do It Yourself, of course.
Turns out it wasn't difficult at all. Yes, it does look "home made", not professional and whatnot, but I like it.
This was my first attempt, and I think I'll try to do some more in the future, there were some pretty fabrics I saw at the store, and now that I know what not to do, how to make it better by trial and error, I'm confident they'll turn out all right.

So, what I did: I copied the shape of the tablet in paper and cut it out to have a base or template to build around. I also measured the thickness of it to keep in mind for the fold.
I had an old cardboard file holder (pretty sturdy) that I used to cut out the book shape. I covered it with a hard white fabric that is used to give shape (glued it on).
I then measured and cut out three pieces of fabric, two for the white satiny interior and one for the blue-jeans exterior. I also cut 4 pieces of white elastic and placed them according to the template. I sewed it all together as if making a bag in which to put the cardboard in. I filled with cotton the part where the tablet screen would be covered to have a cushion of protection over it. I sewed it closed like a pillow.
Then I cut and sewed/glued the folding thingy to close it, with velcro, and I also glued a strip to hold a pen at the side.